Colossians Chapter 2
Study One: Lesson One (2.1.1) -- "Mixed Messages"
Spend an hour or so with your favorite media...be it TV, radio, magazines, or the Internet, and you will receive hundreds of messages (some subliminal) on how to live your life. The problem is, these messages may be contrary to what GOD SAYS!!
Assignment: Use the attached sheet to record messages you get from the media.
Consider these scriptures and how they may counteract the message you get from media:
- Concerning what you eat: 1 Corinthians 10:31 -- "Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God"
- Concerning your finances: Proverbs 10:22 -- The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, and He adds no sorrow with it."
- Concerning beauty: 1 Peter 3:3-4 -- "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."
- Concerning celebrities and spokespeople: Psalm 118:8 -- "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
- Concerning "negative" news & projections: 1 John:18 -- "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."
Advanced: Find additional Scriptures to counteract worldly messages.
Copyright (c) 2009 The Walk Ministries. All Rights Reserved
Donate to this Ministry.
(Secure donations via Paypal)
On a daily basis, we see and hear marketing campaigns designed to tell us what to eat, what to buy, where to live, what to drive, and in general, how to live. Just as parents look for words to teach children to use when they encounter those who want to lead them astray – Paul counters the “fine-sounding arguments” of the world, with the truth of the gospels.
Verse 1 I want you to know how much I am struggling for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me personally.
Verse 2 My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,
Verse 3in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Verse 4I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments. Verse 5For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.
Study One: "Fine-Sounding Arguments"
Women of the Bible
click below for more info