"Living in Christ -- The Reality!"
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him," Colossians 2:6
What is 'real' in today's world?
Think about it. Television offers us what it calls 'Reality TV.' Through these 'unscripted shows' we are shown:
- How to date...how to be a bachelor or bachelorette.
- How to work...how to be an apprentice to a demanding boss.
- How to survive in the wilderness.
- How to be a 'real' housewife.
- How to display our talent (or lack thereof) to the world.
And the list goes on. It seems every few months we are offered a new 'reality' show. Most of us watch one or more of them, because let's face it...they are fun to watch and entertaining. However, they can also be against every moral fiber in our body...not to mention what we learn from Christ.
Think about the pain we feel (at least we should feel it) when watching a youngster with questionable talent being raked over the coals by an unfeeling critic -- for all the world to see.
Think about the children of the 'real' housewives who have no say in their family drama being portrayed weekly on television.
Think about our young impressionable teens who are learning it is okay to 'date' ten or more people at the same time...including 'all' that dating entails today!
Some parents are able to keep their children from watching these shows...and for young children this is a good idea. But, older kids and teens are going to watch them at some point. At the very least, they will hear about the shows at school.
At this stage, a better plan is for parents to be able to counter what is being shown with how we should LIVE in CHRIST...what the WORD tells us.
Assignment: Find scriptural references to the topics below and discuss with friends and family members what the WORD says versus 'Reality' TV. (some references are given)
- On dating -- "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- On work -- "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism." Colossians 3:23-25
- On being a wife -- "A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." Proverbs 31:10-12
- On idols -- "But they would not listen and were as stiff-necked as their fathers, who did not trust in the LORD their God. They rejected his decrees and the covenant he had made with their fathers and the warnings he had given them. They followed worthless idols and themselves became worthless. They imitated the nations around them although the LORD had ordered them, "Do not do as they do," and they did the things the LORD had forbidden them to do." 2 Kings 17:14-15
Find and discuss additional Scriptures on the above topics. If you are a parent...what will you tell your children about Reality TV shows?